March 12 – Notice Re School Closure on March 13

We have been informed that the test results for our parent have come back negative. Obviously, this is exceptionally good news.

We appreciate that the decision to close the school was anxiety producing; however, we felt given the uncertainty around potential student/staff exposure that it was an appropriate level of response.

Given we have already communicated a school closure for tomorrow, we believe the most appropriate action is to remain closed. Administrative staff will use the time to continue contingency planning in case of mandated school closures subsequent to spring break.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Darren Lewis

This morning (Thursday, March 12) we received advice that due to their travel history and symptoms, one of the parents of a secondary school domestic student has been tested for Covid-19. We are awaiting the results. The parent was in social contact with 8 or 9 of our students – none of whom are symptomatic.

 We have been in contact with Island Health who are not advising that we close at this time; however, out of an abundance of caution and given that there is only one day prior to the break, we have decided to close the school tomorrow Friday, March 13. We will be in communication with Island Heath to determine additional steps that may be required depending on the results of the test.

I think it important to pass on Island Health’s advice that there is no reason based on the evidence for people to self-isolate unless they are symptomatic. We would encourage you to follow the advice contained in resources such as the BC Centre for Disease Control website.

We anticipate providing further updates during spring break.

I would encourage your prayers.  In times of anxiousness, the words of our Saviour are particularly comforting.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. “

Darren Lewis