Thursday, October 1, 2020
- GRADE 8S: Anyone who was part of the Grade 7 Drama production of Rise of Robin Hood is invited to meet with Mrs. Rathburn and Ms. Eng right after school on Thursday in ROOM B14 (Ms. Jacobson’s HUM room/Ms. Gerlinsky’s Math room) to listen to Act 1 Scene 1, hear the announcement of our release date, and have a treat!
- SKATEBOARDS, SCOOTERS, AND BIKES: are great ways to get to school. However, they are not for playing on at school, as we do not have an area that is safe for their use. Please lock up your bike/scooter when you arrive; if you need a place to store your skateboard, feel free to bring it to the office.
- GO BY BIKE WEEK: September 28 – October 4, 2020,
- Hey PCS – guess what? The PCS Pacers Go By Bike team is currently ranked 6th out of all 206 teams registered! We are the top team for our organization’s size (500-1000 people) – the 5 above us are all larger organizations (UVic, Island Health, the CRD, the Armed Forces, and UBC). Go By Bike runs until Sunday, Oct. 4, so there are still 4 days for you to log rides. It’s not too late to register, join the team, and join the fun!
- You can still join the team by going to gobybikebc.ca, creating an account, and then clicking the “Join a Team” button and choosing PCS Pacers. It’s free. It’s fun. It’s good for you and for creation. And, hey…you might get cookies or win prizes.
+5 points if you bike to school
+5 if you bike both ways
+1 for every km you bike (+2 for kms past 3km)
+3 if you bike in the rain
- THANK YOU FOR WEARING YOUR MASK IN THE CROWDED AREA OUTSIDE BEFORE/AFTER SCHOOL
- Grade 11/12’’s: YOUTH AT THE BOOTH:
- Youth at the Booth is Elections BC’s program to hire high school students as election officials during a Provincial General Election.
- Participants will receive training, work at a voting place on election day or during advance voting, and gain valuable experience for their resume and post-secondary applications.
- Learn more about the program and submit an application as soon as possible. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis. Google Youth at the Booth.
- MATH COMPETITION: The Canadian Mathematical Society invites you to participate in the 2020 Canadian Open Math Challenge on October 29. Registration deadline for this exam is October 15. Please speak to your math teacher or Mr. Bos to sign up.
- RUN FOR THE CURE – Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Canadian women, and this disease has affected so many families in Canada and around the world. The BC Cancer Foundation reports “This year, more than 5,500 women in BC will be newly diagnosed with a woman’s cancer such as breast or ovarian”. Run For the Cure is an annual event that raises awareness and money for breast cancer research. This year’s Run For The Cure event will take place on Sunday, October 4 at 8:30 am. This will be a ‘virtual event’, which means participants can run or walk on their own in their own neighbourhood, or they can gather in small groups and run together. If you would like to join us this year, please meet at the school on October 4 at 8:30 am for virtual opening ceremonies (optional) or at 9 am for the run itself. We will run and/or walk 5 km together, and enjoy some snacks after the run. You can also register online and donate at www.cancer.ca , but please feel free to join us for the run even if you don’t register officially online. For more information, please see either Mr. Mossie or Madame Webster.
- POSSIBLE INDOOR BREAK/LUNCH DAYS:: The default for breaks is outdoors; we’ll let you know if the weather requires an indoor break. Please remember classes from other grade cohorts are in process, be aware of the hallway noise levels.
Grade 12: upper floor
Grade 11: middle floor
Grade 10: upper floor
Grade 9: middle floor
Grade 8 Breaks:
Basement or middle floor at Grade 8 morning break
Gym (at lunch)
Three very important things to note:
1) There are always classes in session when you are on break.
2) Please sit or stand on one side of the hall to allow movement on the other.
3) When you are not eating, please wear your mask.
- CREDIT CHECKS: If you still need to check your credits with Mr. Tuffin, sign up on his board in student services.
- INFO SESSIONS: Check Mr. Tuffin’s Classroom (Grad 2021) for up to date post-secondary information including upcoming information sessions.
- LORAN SCHOLARSHIP: If you are interested in the Loran Scholarship, make an appointment to meet with Mr. Tuffin before the end of school on Sept 30th. PCS may sponsor up to three students for this award. Students may also apply through the direct pool process. Check Mr. Tuffin’s Google Classroom for more details.
- COVID CUP: CO-ED VOLLEYBALL LEAGUE FOR PCS STUDENTS on THURSDAYS
GRADE 9 2:45-4:15
GRADE 10 4:30-6:00
GRADE 11 6:15-7:45
GRADE 12 8:00-9:30
- UNTIL WE ARE ABLE TO PLAY AGAINST OTHER SCHOOLS, THURSDAY’S WILL BE OUR “GAME DAY” DURING THE TIMES LISTED ABOVE. COME OUT AND HAVE A GREAT TIME PLAYING VOLLEYBALL WITH OTHERS IN YOUR GRADE!
- PLEASE SIGN UP ON MR. STEWART’S DOOR IF YOU ARE AVAILABLE TO PLAY.
- GRADE 8 BOYS BASKETBALL: Any Grade 8 boys interested in playing basketball this season should attend a quick information and sign-up meeting with Mr. Kremler in the gym at the start of lunch today.
- VOLLEYBALL: If you are interested in playing volleyball this year, you should attend one of the following tryouts. Until we are able to have more than one grade practice together, we will be divided into cohorts during the same practice time. One grade will be on each side of the curtain.
- Grade 9 and 10 boys: Monday and Wednesday from 4:30-6:00 in the HS gym
- Grade 9 girls: Tuesday 4:30-6:00 in HS gym
- Grade 10 girls: Monday 3:30-5:00 in HS gym and Tuesday from 2:45-4:15 in the MS gym
- Grade 11 and 12 boys: Monday from 8:00 – 9:30 and Wednesday from 6:15-7:45 in the HS gym
- Grade 11 and 12 girls: Wednesday from 6:15-7:45 in the HS gym
ITEMS IN THE OFFICE FOR PICK-UP:
(Office Reception Area is limited to 3 people wearing masks at a time):
Last Year Grade 8-11 Honour and High Honour Roll Certificates are available for pick-up
Grade 8: Last year’s Gr. 7 Bibles: Luke D, Sophie, Kianna, Nick S,
Last year’s Gr 7’s Recognition gifts: Hannah L, Vivian L, Ethan Z,
Last year’s Grade 7 Locker items: Joseph G, Naomi M, Charles M, Carter B, Anthony S, Karenza R
Please note these items will be donated if not picked up by October 9, 2020
LOST AND FOUND:
- FOUND: Silver coloured ring. If you believe this might be yours, drop by the office.
- FOUND: Fit Bit. If you believe this might be yours, drop by the office.
LOST: MPow Black, over the ear, bluetooth headphones, if you have found these please bring them to the office.